[HECnet] netowrk flapping....

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 12:24:23 PDT 2012

On 10/06/12 21:53, Marc Chametzky wrote:
I have increased the timeout values on the router that is attached to
SG1::.   Hopefully this improves matters.

I may have missed something, but I saw that you increased the TCP timeouts. By default, DECnet-over-IP uses UDP packets, so that'd be the timeout you'd want to increase.

>   The uplink port is a gigabit port connected to my FiOS ONT (connected at
>   100 Mbps).
What does it speak to the fios NT (I knew nothing about what strange
things local phone compnies manage to do..) Is it just DHCP or exoting
things like pppoe?
The ONT simply presents itself as a regular, routed 100Base-TX network interface. There's no special protocol used between the SonicWALL and the ONT. The SonicWALL specifies 71.182.147.1 as its default route, which is either the ONT itself or something upstream from it. I don't know where the fiber's IP router actually lives.

I have five static IP addresses that I manually configure, so I'm not using DHCP on my WAN segment.

Now, getting back to the UDP versus TCP, MultiNet does support setting up DECnet circuits using TCP. It's not available via MULTINET CONFIGURE/DECNET from what I could see, but it is listed in the online help for MULTINET SET/DECNET as /TCP=[CONNECT|LISTEN]. TCP connections may prove to be more reliable under some circumstances.

--Marc

My   comments are probably completely useless, but I'll say it anyway.
I've seen this behaviour in a box with multiple network adapters where one (or more) are not connected to a network segment.

Mark.

--
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
http://declegacy.org.uk