[HECnet] netowrk flapping....

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Mon Jun 11 12:40:01 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Mark Wickens
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 07:24
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] netowrk flapping....

On 10/06/12 21:53, Marc Chametzky wrote:
I have increased the timeout values on the router that is
attached
to SG1::.   Hopefully this improves matters.

I may have missed something, but I saw that you increased the TCP
timeouts. By default, DECnet-over-IP uses UDP packets, so that'd be
the timeout you'd want to increase.

The uplink port is a gigabit port connected to my FiOS ONT
(connected at
100 Mbps).
What does it speak to the fios NT (I knew nothing about
what strange
things local phone compnies manage to do..) Is it just DHCP or
exoting things like pppoe?
The ONT simply presents itself as a regular, routed
100Base-TX network
interface. There's no special protocol used between the
SonicWALL and
the ONT. The SonicWALL specifies 71.182.147.1 as its default route,
which is either the ONT itself or something upstream from
it. I don't
know where the fiber's IP router actually lives.

I have five static IP addresses that I manually configure,
so I'm not
using DHCP on my WAN segment.

Now, getting back to the UDP versus TCP, MultiNet does
support setting
up DECnet circuits using TCP. It's not available via MULTINET
CONFIGURE/DECNET from what I could see, but it is listed in
the online
help for MULTINET SET/DECNET as /TCP=[CONNECT|LISTEN]. TCP
connections
may prove to be more reliable under some circumstances.

--Marc

My   comments are probably completely useless, but I'll say it anyway.
I've seen this behaviour in a box with multiple network
adapters where one (or more) are not connected to a network segment.

Mark.

--
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
http://declegacy.org.uk

SG1:: only has 1 adapter.   It is a VAXstation 4000-30 (VLC).   It is
connected directly to the Netgear FVS318.

-Steve