[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 7 09:52:05 PDT 2012

On 06/07/2012 03:50 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
    Yes I understand, but while not in promiscuous mode, the filtering is
done by the network interface chip, rather than by one of my cores which
are typically pretty busy doing other things.   I have a very fast
machine on my desk, but that doesn't mean I want to waste the cycles...I
use those cycles for lots of stuff. ;)

Your machine is most likely wasting lots of cycles. You probably don't
even want to know... ;-)
Networks are slow, compared to CPUs.
A friend of mine wrote his PhD about the concept that you basically can
increase network bandwidth by just compressing data you want to send as
much as humanly possible for this simple reason. The CPU will wait on
data anyway, so why not use that time to compress the data to send,
which means you get more data through on the same network bandwidth.

  In nearly all cases, yes I agree.   Desktop OSs, even the "lean" ones,
are becoming fatter with each release though.   And I do actually keep my
CPUs pretty busy, doing large compiles and PCB routing.

  But, see my other mail, it is perfectionism more than fear of actual
visible impact.   But on the other hand, this is my NEW desktop system,
less than a year old, and I used my last one for about seven years with
only minor upgrades...I get a lot of mileage out of my hardware.

    I agree, but it is a bigger concern for me as above.   There is also a
"purist" aspect...I also eschew things like "winprinters" (if you
remember those!)...my main CPU cores have other work to be doing.