[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 7 09:46:18 PDT 2012

On 06/07/2012 04:40 AM, Mark Benson wrote:
Traffic.   My main desktop machine sits on a busy network, and I am
uncomfortable with the notion of it sitting in promiscuous mode.
Remember that I also do all of my work (meaning "make money for food"
work) on this system.

Hence my proposal to use a dedicated low-cost platform to perform the
work instead.

I like you feel uncomfortable having my main computers wide open so I
don't run it on my Mac Pro, MacBook or games PC. I have an old dual
PIII for Windows stuff and a HP Microserver and (soon to be numerous)
Raspberry Pi for Linux and a Atom D410 for NetBSD.

  Ahh, we are talking about different things.   I'm using a Cisco 7206VXR
as my DECnet router, but when I'm at my desk, I'm sitting in front of
this computer right here, and I ssh/telnet/dnlogin/llogin from here.
I'm talking about having direct DECnet support from here.

  Of course I could just bring up a virtual machine on the VMware host
down in the racks, but then I'd have to hop through that...not difficult
at all, but still very "unclean" to me.

  It's just anal-retentive perfectionism, nothing more, no REAL impact,
no REAL casualties...but it makes me sleep better at night, and I can
usually achieve it pretty much everywhere else. :)