DECnet-DOS, was Re: [HECnet] Size of HECnet

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 8 02:35:56 PDT 2012

On 06/07/2012 07:08 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
Is this the same as DECnet-DOS?   I ran that a long time ago.   Does
anyone have a copy?   It included drivers for that weird DEC ISA Ethernet
card, the DEPCA, which was a full-length 8-bit board that also included
(strangely) a mouse interface.

I have the programs for that thing. (Don't have the card.) I, ah, made
a copy of the programs onto a floppy from a PC/AT that I was repairing
for a customer, oh say about twenty years ago.

The customer, (not mine Dave the store I was working at) was a student
at one of the schools, (college) who had a remarkable DEC installation
running at it, it might have been Columbia. I found the card in it,
and asked the manager who was double checking my work, as was his
wont, and of course he didn't know what it was. I found out later what
it was, and yes it was what you've described.

  I'd love a copy of that stuff, if you can arrange it.

Obviously I never got the stuff to connect to a for real DEC setup,
but heck it would be fun to try and do so.

  Indeed!

By the way Dave outside your door is a well dressed gentleman in a
suit that looks like something a certain outrageous poet and author
wore, and has hair to match. (Hint: its the same daft stuff I
sometimes pull on Sampsa.) There's also a blue colored box
outside.........

  Ok, you lost me there, my friend.