DECnet-DOS, was Re: [HECnet] Size of HECnet

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 00:08:55 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 06/07/2012 12:11 PM, Kari Uusim  ki wrote:
There is a DECnet stack for DOS and Windows in the Pathworks V5 or V6
client kit. Those versions were meant to be used on Windows'es before
Windows NT4. Then the Pathworks32 kit was released and that could be
used on WNT4.0 and Windows 2000. Maybe on XP as well. Don't remember for
sure.

  Is this the same as DECnet-DOS?   I ran that a long time ago.   Does
anyone have a copy?   It included drivers for that weird DEC ISA Ethernet
card, the DEPCA, which was a full-length 8-bit board that also included
(strangely) a mouse interface.

Hello!
Oh my aching field density equalizers!

I have the programs for that thing. (Don't have the card.) I, ah, made
a copy of the programs onto a floppy from a PC/AT that I was repairing
for a customer, oh say about twenty years ago.

The customer, (not mine Dave the store I was working at) was a student
at one of the schools, (college) who had a remarkable DEC installation
running at it, it might have been Columbia. I found the card in it,
and asked the manager who was double checking my work, as was his
wont, and of course he didn't know what it was. I found out later what
it was, and yes it was what you've described.

Some years later I tracked down an old RACAL networking card and its
software, and they included a binary who took over for the code that
supported the hardware to talk to that stuff.

Obviously I never got the stuff to connect to a for real DEC setup,
but heck it would be fun to try and do so.

By the way Dave outside your door is a well dressed gentleman in a
suit that looks like something a certain outrageous poet and author
wore, and has hair to match. (Hint: its the same daft stuff I
sometimes pull on Sampsa.) There's also a blue colored box
outside.........
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com