PDP-11 GCC back-end, was Re: [HECnet] Raspberry Pi + SIMH VAX?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 7 02:21:51 PDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 09:01 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
Strange that gcc has so much trouble for VAX.   I thought that had gotten a fair amount of care & feeding lately.

pdp11, that's a different story, though I do try to do some more bits from time to time...

  Are you working on that??   I recently ran across this page:

  http://www.diane-neisius.de/pdp11/index_E.html

  ...in which a very enthusiastic person got it running some time ago,
but with some pretty significant restrictions.

  I'd truly love to see the PDP-11 GCC back-end be resurrected and made
to be fully functional.   It may have a very limited appeal, but I
already use GCC-based cross-compilers for many different architectures
in both my work and recreational activities (both mostly ARM7), and
would love to be able to do some bare-metal PDP-11 work with GCC as well.

  If you're working on this, allow me to voice my heartfelt support for
this effort!