IP over HF packet, was Re: [HECnet] Area 19

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Fri Nov 2 17:54:05 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 23:43
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: IP over HF packet, was Re: [HECnet] Area 19

On 11/01/2012 11:35 PM, Bob Armstrong wrote:
We'd probably use DDCMP to get it to the async level, right?

  Maybe.   I know that AX.25 has a protocol ID byte that
specifies the
packet type being piggybacked - I'm pretty sure IP is 0xCC.
It might
be that someone has already implemented a DECnet payload,
but it's a long shot.

  I doubt it.   We could, though.

  We could build our own TNCs that spoke 1200/9600 baud
AX.25 on one
side and DDCMP on the other.   All it really takes is some
firmware...
That'd be a really cool gizmo, and completely useless to
anyone except
for a couple of people to boot :-)

  I would LOVE to do that.   That sounds like great gobs of fun.

  Realistically, a smarter thing might be to try WiFi.   I think the
current distance record for WiFi is something like 250
miles; how far
is between you and Steve??   Of course, you'll need some
pretty tall towers...

  I don't know specifically where he is, but I think he's east of me.
There are mountains...that'd be tough.

Hollis, NH.   Less than 1 mile from the Mass border.

-Steve