IP over HF packet, was Re: [HECnet] Area 19

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Nov 1 20:19:18 PDT 2012

On 11/01/2012 10:55 PM, Bob Armstrong wrote:
    I've been out of ham radio since...well, the last time I was
licensed, the Kantronix KPC-2 was a current product. ;)

    The KPC-3 is still a current product - HRO sells 'em for about $200.
They're the defacto standard for hardware TNCs these days.   However I think
most people do it with a sound card and software (the ham radio equivalent
of a winmodem).   And I'm not sure how many people still do packet as such -
modes like psk31, WSPR, JT65, etc are more common these days.

  I've learned a bit about some of those modes...VERY interesting stuff.   I've done a few PSK31 QSOs (sound card method) and have enjoyed it very much.   I'm going through a Yaesu FT-920, on 40m.

  For a better time reference, until the past year, the last time I was active in ham radio was the early 1990s.   My how things have changed!

  I didn't know hardware TNCs were still being made.   That's reassuring.   Most of the ham radio world, especially the "appliance operators", seems to have little problem with the idea of replacing EVERYTHING with a Windows box.   *barf*

  I have a pair of AEA PK232MBX TNCs.   I might try to bring them up.

We should take this offline.   This is not really HECnet related.

    If you guys actually try to do DECnet over radio I'd be interested...

  I think it'd be interesting to attempt.   We'd probably use DDCMP to get it to the async level, right?   (this could certainly be HECnet-related!)