3B1s and "old school" UNIX, was Re: [HECnet] US Seller with some interesting stuff

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:19:41 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 11/27/2012 10:25 PM, Boyanich, Alastair wrote:
Wasn't there some bitsliced cpu variants ?

  Of the 7300/3B1?   No, not that I'm aware of.   They're call 68010-based.

I know there was the AT&T UNIX PC which was a 68010 + custom external
MMU, but there was also a proprietry cpu version I ran into the trap of
in a past life.

  The "UNIX PC" is the 7300, which is nearly identical to the 3B1.   The
3B1 has a slightly larger top cover to accommodate a full-height hard
drive, while the 7300 will only hold a half-height drive.

  They are otherwise identical, using 68010s.

  I'd sure like to know more about the "proprietary cpu" version you're
talking about.

Hello!
He's thinking of the WE designed processors that were used in the
later units. They were not bit slice but were fabricated using the
normal methods. Not surprisingly enough the devices could not even be
sold separately.

They were ran an appropriately written release of UNIX as native. One
of the first applications for them and the later models was in running
the first and second generation Electronic Switching Services
otherwise known as exchanges.

There's a whole article online someplace on the RT extensions that
needed to be written out and added to UNIX for that application.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com