[HECnet] digest mode for list

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Fri Nov 2 08:56:18 PDT 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 10:27, "Bob Armstrong" <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:

Brian Hechinger wrote:
Is it just me or does the whole conversion of serial to modem to pots
to voip back and forth there seem a little excessive?

I thought people wanted to experience the lights blinking on their DF03 sitting next to their VT100....

I certainly wouldn't want to get in the way of that of course. I was mainly thinking from my point of view. I have asterisk talking through google voice for my non-cell voice needs and the quality tends to be a little rough at times. I don't think modems would talk well over that (if at all) and I don't get to control the compression.

If I knew I wasnot moving for a while I could see getting a POTS line for this, but in the meantime that isn't going to happen. :)

So I had an idea. What about a software modem that natively talks VoIP.

How about an open source codec that knows how to speak Bell 103/212/v.22/etc and then just sends the actual data over IP to its counterpart on the other end?

That should be easy enough I would think. There were lots of good emails with lots of great info in them. I'm going to research all those and see what I come up with.

You know, as soon as Internet service returns. :)

-brian