[HECnet] accessing MIM from RSTS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Nov 2 15:54:29 PDT 2012

On 2012-11-02 19:50, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 11/02/2012 05:23 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
$ DIR MIM::DU:[FORTH]

      And I'm getting this: (just hitting <cr> at the user/password
prompts)

?$ dir mim::du:[forth]
                        Node: MIM
                        User:
                Password:
System Password:
?NFT -- Connection rejected to node MIM
?NFT -- Access not permitted

      Again, this is only from RSTS/E.

Yes. The prompts are done by RSTS/E, and the error comes from MIM
because you are not specifying a user, and your RSTS/E system are not
providing any proxy information as an alternative.

    Ok.   Thanks for the insight.   I will try to figure out how to set up
proxy info in DECnet/E.   You may see me pecking on MIM a bit over the
weekend as I try to get this working.

No worries. Keep experimenting. Just FYI - In VMS and RSX, the
commands are:
NCP SET EXEC INCOMING PROXY ENABLED
NCP SET EXEC OUTGOING PROXY ENABLED

(Although you'll only need the outgoing proxy for getting it to work
in a nicer way to MIM from your system.)

On RSTS, there is no such thing as outgoing proxy.   You specify access
information or not; if not, then that seems to be what you need to get
proxy.

Inbound, exec characteristic "default account" specifies the account
to use for objects that have Verification=On (meaning access control
is used) if no access control data is given.   If that isn't set, you
don't get default access.   If a default account is set, that is used
for default access without any password check; even if the account
normally requires a password, the fact that it is the default lets you
get in that way.

If you specify an account but no password, that is accepted if the
account is marked as "no password required".

Hmm. So there is no way in RSTS/E to do a default mapping from one user
on machine A to another user on machine B without the user having to
specify access information either then?

Too bad in that case. And I guess that this means you cannot access
files on RSX from a RSTS/E system without explicitly giving a user and
password.

Maybe the right time to remind of the GUEST/GUEST account on MIM, though... :-)