[HECnet] PDP-11 online

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Nov 1 07:33:26 PDT 2012

On 2012-11-01 06:26, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 11/01/2012 01:24 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
    I've decided to leave my PDP-11/53 up and running for awhile.   The
recent temperature decrease in my area may have been a factor in this
decision. ;)   It may go up and down, but it should be up most of the time.

    It is MECCA, node 61.4.   The login is "10,1" and the password is
"hecnet", sans brackets and quotes.

    FORTRAN, BP2, and C are installed.

    Log in and have fun!

    Oh, and remember, from VMS, you'll need to be coming from a pre-8.x
machine (as far as I can tell), using "SET HOST/APPL=RTERM MECCA".   You
may need to hop through something.

    Johnny, maybe you can test login from an RSX system?

Works, just like Oleg reported. However, why is the date set to 1999 on that system? It's RSTS/E V10.1, that should be Y2K capable.

I also had a chance to notice that RSX (apparently like VMS) tries CTERM first, and when that fails, it falls back to trying RTERM. However, it tries the RSX flavour, which also fails.

But RRS works fine.