rebuild RSTS/E monitor, was Re: [HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Mon Oct 29 09:03:43 PDT 2012

Al 29/10/12 13:08, En/na Cory Smelosky ha escrit:
It works mostly "out of the box" with the Panda distribution. You have to fiddle a little bit with the configuration file but IIRC it is pretty straightforward. I'll check it when I get access to my machine. Or you can check it yourself SET HOSTing to BITXT2 in HECnet.

Unknown node, what's its address? Could you explain what you did to configure it?
I am not at home now, so I will probably forgert something.

You must edit SYSTEM:7-1-CONFIG.CMD and add/modify the following lines:

NODE <your_node> <area.address>
DECNET ROUTER-ENDNODE
ETHERNET 0 DECNET

By the way, the address of BITXT2 is 7.78; you can login using GUEST / GUEST.

I have not tried to configure it as a router, so I can not tell if anything different of ROUTER-ENDNODE would work. By the way, there is no "permanent database" in TOPS-20 DECNET, so you have to define the nodes everytime. I made a command procedure to do that parsing the output of a LIST KNOWN NODES, but unfortunately I can't tell you how do I invoke that command procedure now (I just forgot that!).

The tricky part was the host configuration. I was unable to share the ethernet card of the host, so I resorted to the (somehow convoluted) solution of running a minimal linux system inside a virtualbox vm with several ethernet adapters and then run KLT10 inside the VM, using one of the virtual ethernet devices.