rebuild RSTS/E monitor, was Re: [HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Mon Oct 29 07:06:02 PDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 10/28/2012 07:31 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Got it reinstalled   it still doesn't work the way you said to do it,
but doing it through @[0,1]instal works   so i'll just use that route
any time I need to build a monitor

Urr?   You did a CLEAN install on a blank destination disk?   From the
tape image that I gave you?   I just did it that way..

How might I go about adding "users" in RSTS/E?

$ CREATE/ACCOUNT

(see "help create /account")

Note: An "account" under RSTS/E can mean a "user account" that gets
logged into, or just a "directory".   That can be confusing.   Just bear
that in mind as you read.

Originally, there wasn't any such thing as a directory (on the system disk, that is) that wasn't available for login.   So it was called an "account".   Somewhere around V8 or V9, the notion of a "no-user account" was added, which is somewhat like you find on Unix when the password is set to "*" -- you have a directory and possibly some other attributes like a name, but no password and no other user-related attributes like quotas, so you can't log in.

There's "create/account" and "create/account/nouser".   If you create an "account" on a non-system disk, it's no-user by default.   Also, accounts with group number 0 -- like [0,200] -- are always no-user; group 0 is restricted that way.

	paul