[HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sat Oct 27 01:33:36 PDT 2012

Okay, I have OpenVMS and RSTS/E both installed with DECnet configured, and the simulated VAX is acting as a level 1 router (as far as I know, anyway   I set it to act as a router in netconfig). However, neither the emulated VAX nor the emulated PDP-11 can SET HOST to each other, and the simulated PDP-11 cannot reach the rest of HECnet.

They both show adjacency status changes for each other.

DIR GEWT:: on the RSTS/E system (I'll call it GEWT1 for simplicity sake) prompts me for a password, and an invalid password results in OPCOM messages about invalid logins from its address (33.301). DIR GEWT1:: just results in  -SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable.

I ran tcpdump to see if packets were going anywhere, and they were.

https://www.refheap.com/paste/27fd44fa3ea5af2935eef8915

Is there something really obvious i'm missing? Please let me know, still learning my way around here. ;)

(the networking setup: OpenVMS in SIMH in a FreeBSD VM that is bridged with the host (using bpf). RSTS/E is on the host attached to the bridge's interface (vmbr0). The host runs linux.)

-- Cory