[HECnet] DECnet VMS <-> RSTS/E

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Oct 29 00:07:11 PDT 2012

  Hi guys.   I fired up a (real hardware) PDP-11 tonight and did some
DECnet testing between it and my up-24/7 Alpha.

  The systems are a DS10L running VMS v8.3 node 61.2 (AXPEE), and a
PDP-11/53 running RSTS/E v10.1 and DECnet/E v4.1, node 61.4 (MECCA).

  Going from VMS to RSTS/E via "SET HOST/APP=RTERM 61.4" gives me the
same crash as was reported earlier.

  Going from RSTS/E to VMS via "SET HOST 61.2" gives me this:

$ set host 61.2
Connection Established to VAX/VMS Node 61.2

?Unsupported Virtual Terminal Protocol.

Control returned to node MECCA

  Note: File operations work bidirectionally without difficulty.

  I log into the PDP-11 from my desktop via LAT using the "llogin"
command, as I have LAT running on the PDP-11.   I can also reach the
Alpha via LAT.   I don't know how to establish an outbound LAT connection
in RSTS/E (and it's getting late) so I haven't tried that.