[HECnet] Leaving HECnet

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 25 21:59:42 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Chametzky [mailto:marc at bluevine.net]
Sent: 25 October 2012 20:53
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Cc: Rob Jarratt
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Leaving HECnet

Can you explain a little more about the randomization of the source
port number? I might be being stupid here, but I don't see what
problem that would cause, the bridge runs over UDP. Or are you talking
about some other way of tunnelling DECnet over IP?
I'm not using the bridge program. I'm using MultiNet's DECnet-over-IP
circuit. It sends packets to the remote system over UDP on port 700. The
problem is that its source port is also 700. My firewall randomizes the
source port for security reasons and is not configurable in that regard.
When the destination system receives packets from my network, it drops
them because they don't have the right source port.

--Marc

Ah, I don't know anything about Multinet. Is there a reason why you can't
use the bridge in that case?

Regards

Rob