[HECnet] Leaving HECnet

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 25 20:45:04 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE]
On Behalf Of Marc Chametzky
Sent: 25 October 2012 19:49
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: [HECnet] Leaving HECnet

I'm working on consolidating my system and as part of this, I'm getting
rid
of my ESXi server that's running my virtual systems. I'm going to move
them
to my file server where I'll simply run them on demand from my Mac.

I thought about keeping HECnet around, but given that my connectivity
hasn't been working anyway due to my firewall's insistence on randomizing
the source port number for the DECnet-over-IP circuit, I think I'm just
going
to drop off at this point. Plus, I don't know when I'd be back online
again in
the future once I shut the server down.

The affected nodes to be removed are 19.300 through 19.304.

Thanks so much for letting me hang around. I still love the idea of a
hobbyist
DECnet. :-)

--Marc

Marc,

Can you explain a little more about the randomization of the source port
number? I might be being stupid here, but I don't see what problem that
would cause, the bridge runs over UDP. Or are you talking about some other
way of tunnelling DECnet over IP?

Regards

Rob