[HECnet] happy news

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Oct 22 15:14:35 PDT 2012

On 10/22/2012 10:00 AM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:
    I brought up my VAX 7000 yesterday.   2x HSJ50s CI-connected
controllers with six 9GB SCSI drives, 1.5GB of RAM, and two 600-series
processors, running VMS 7.3.   It's not running full-time, but I'll be
running it more as the weather turns colder.

    What a beautiful machine.
Congratulations!

  Thank you!

I love hearing the humming of my real VAXen... and those are a 4000/200
and a micro-3300. So I guess the humming of a 7000 is a thousand times
better than that ;)

  The 7000 doesn't so much "hum" as it does "rumble".   That gigantic
low-speed blower is most impressive.

(Weather has cooled a little bit around here... and I have been powering
on my machines a little bit lately. Guess I will need no climatizer in
winter).

  Nope!   I need to figure out, watt for watt, if it's more expensive to
heat with electricity (via big iron in my case) than natural gas here in
western PA USA.   I suspect gas is cheaper, but am not certain, and I
don't know the transfer function of the boiler in my building.