[HECnet] Help with VMS decnet configuration please

Fri Sep 14 21:30:08 PDT 2012

On Sep 14, 2012, at 4:19 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 09/14/2012 03:37 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
so I updated the MODPARAMS.DAT, rebooted and ran NETCONFIG.COM, but I'm
getting errors when attempting to reach out over the ethernet. I know
the physical network connection is OK because tcpip is working fine.

Wasn't there something about starting DECnet first?   Try rebooting again
now that the reconfig is done.

Starting DECnet changes the MAC address of the interface...could it
have been an ordering dependency there?

                        -Dave

That's definitely a dependency, unless you have a type of interface that supports multiple MAC addresses.   The early ones (UNA and Lance) do not.   QNA does, LQA emulates that but doesn't really want to.   Tulip and later DEC-designed Ethernet adapters (and the FDDI adapters, for those of   you that have one) all support multiple MAC addresses, because it was written into the DEC Ethernet architecture specification as a requirement.

	paul