[HECnet] Help with VMS decnet configuration please

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 21:30:55 PDT 2012

On 14/09/12 21:29, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
On 9/14/12 3:51 PM, Mark Wickens wrote:
On 14/09/12 20:37, Dennis Boone wrote:
> so I updated the MODPARAMS.DAT, rebooted and ran NETCONFIG.COM, but I'm
> getting errors when attempting to reach out over the ethernet. I know
> the physical network connection is OK because tcpip is working fine.

Wasn't there something about starting DECnet first?   Try rebooting again
now that the reconfig is done.

De
Well, I never thought this would fix a VMS issue, but rebooting it solved the problem.
Sorry for wasting your bandwidth ;)

Thanks for the help!!!

Mark.

As Dave says, DECnet needs to change the MAC address on the network interface.   If you booted and TCP/IP came up and then you fiddled with and started DECnet, the MAC address was already locked in by TCP And DECnet wasn't able to change it.   The rebooting allowed things to happen in the proper order. Technically, you could have stopped TCP and then started DECnet and then re-started TCP and it probably would have worked - unless the sysgen parameters were needed and then only the reboot would have done it.

John H. Reinhardt

Yes, of course that makes total sense. It's been a while since I did anything with DECnet, as I say, all this stuff slowly dribbles out of my brain...

Cheers, Mark.