[HECnet] punched tape

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Sat Apr 20 13:40:02 PDT 2013

Oooold people. ;-)   I was still in high school at that time.   My introduction to a paper-tape device came about 4 years later (in college) when my physics prof and I put together a Heathkit H-11 (PDP-11/03 really) that had the nastiest paper-tape device ever created by man.   I think we could get it to load maybe 1 time out of 20. We then got the 8 inch floppy drive functional and I think the paper-tape device was relagated to the trash heap. The 8-inch floppy drives ran the Heath branded RT-11 V02.

About a year later was when our resident math guru (Name Drop) Keith Olson
moved to Montana and handed us the keys to the PDP-11/20. We actually USED the paper-tape device on that machine (because it REALLY worked).   I loved making my assembler students load an absolute loader, EDIT-11, MARCO-11, LINK-11 and have them paper-tape punch out ONE of their project, if for no other reason then to show them how nice having a disk operating system was.   I still have digital copies of the DEC paper-tape software, but sadly after I left the college, I was told the paper-tape was tossed in the trash and the PDP-11's (11/20, 2 11/45's and a 11/70) were disected for the cabinets and power distribution supplies (sad).

Brett

Side note: Keith (KE7BWR) is now retired and living in Utah.