[HECnet] VAX/VMS 1.50

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 5 15:28:58 PDT 2013

On 04/05/2013 09:54 AM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
A DMC-11 is essentially a KMC-11 with programming fixed in ROM, rather
than dowloadable in RAM, plus a line card.   The KMC-11 processor is a
custom engine, its instruction set looks somewhat like microcode.   No
connection to any Intel chips, that couldn't possibly have come within a
mile of the performance requirements.   Come to think of it, the first use
of a 808x series chip in DEC products I can think of is the head servo
control processor in the RA80.   There may have been 8031s in some other
spots, I no longer remember where I saw those.

  The RA80 came out in 1981, I think.

  The 8031 is a member of the 8051 family (it's an 8051 without on-chip
program ROM), which was introduced in 1980.

  The earliest use of an Intel processor in a DEC machine that I'm aware of
is the KY11-LB console control board in a PDP-11/34, which was introduced in
1976.   That board uses an 8008.