[HECnet] VAX/VMS 1.50

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Apr 5 15:05:39 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM, <Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:

On Apr 4, 2013, at 6:44 PM, Clem Cole wrote:

My 1976 Peripherals Handbook has a description of the DMC-11 in it.
Best version of that book ever ;_0

A DMC-11 is essentially a KMC-11 with programming fixed in ROM, rather than dowloadable in RAM, plus a line card.   The KMC-11 processor is a custom engine, its instruction set looks somewhat like microcode.
Right.   Now it's coming back.

No connection to any Intel chips, that couldn't possibly have come within a mile of the performance requirements.   Come to think of it, the first use of a 808x series chip in DEC products I can think of is the head servo control processor in the RA80.   There may have been 8031s in some other spots, I no longer remember where I saw those.
The 11/34 had an 8008-1 that ran the keypad console and could actually DMA on the Unibus (al beit very slowly).

Positive.   It was RSTS V4A-12, which did not use an MMU and required only 28 kW of memory (24 kW for a minimal install).   RSTS started requiring an MMU in version 5, the first version that was called RSTS/E (for "Extended" as in extended memory).

Cool.

Clem