[HECnet] Algol compiler for VAX/VMS?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Fri Apr 5 18:15:16 PDT 2013

On 05/04/2013 17:36, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
On Apr 5, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Bob Armstrong wrote:

No one remembers that DEC ever did an Algol for the Vax.
    Yeah, I don   t think DEC did either.   I was hoping that there was a third party implementation, or maybe one in DECUS.       After all, there   s a Modula2 compiler that had nothing to do with DEC.

I suspect Google is your friend.
    Thanks for mentioning the Algol68RS

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALGOL_68RS

There   s a SourceForge project (link in the Wikipedia article) for a translator that converts Algol68RS to C.

Bob

There is also a full Algol68 compiler called algol68g http://jmvdveer.home.xs4all.nl/algol.html-- but that one is targeted to Intel CPUs.   I suppose you could write a new back end...

paul

Now that *is* an interesting question, given my recent journey through some languages and simulators such as the Elliot 900 series and the English Electric KDF9 - the original host for the Whetstone Algol compiler (the KDF9 has a very interesting architecture - definitely worth a read).

There is also 'Awe' which is documented here - http://www.jampan.co.nz/~glyn/ - might be worth a look.
As always it's probably going to be a case of finding a 'lowest common denominator' implementation if you want 'native'.

Alternatively there is Terry Froggart's Elliot 900 simulator I've just got compiled up on VAX and Alpha which is implemented in Ada. It's pretty unfriendly user-wise but in theory you could load an Algol compiler tape and get it to run the resulting code.

Regards, Mark.