[HECnet] Algol compiler for VAX/VMS?

Fri Apr 5 17:36:59 PDT 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Bob Armstrong wrote:

No one remembers that DEC ever did an Algol for the Vax.

  Yeah, I don   t think DEC did either.   I was hoping that there was a third party implementation, or maybe one in DECUS.       After all, there   s a Modula2 compiler that had nothing to do with DEC.

I suspect Google is your friend.

  Thanks for mentioning the Algol68RS

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALGOL_68RS

There   s a SourceForge project (link in the Wikipedia article) for a translator that converts Algol68RS to C.

Bob

There is also a full Algol68 compiler called algol68g http://jmvdveer.home.xs4all.nl/algol.html-- but that one is targeted to Intel CPUs.   I suppose you could write a new back end...

paul