[HECnet] Building SIMH (any version after the networking arrived)

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Wed Aug 28 00:07:11 PDT 2013

Hi Gregg,

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Gregg Levine wrote:
Hello!
I'm trying to get the release from the GIT storage point to build properly, that
is with networking enabled on my Raspberry Pi. Oddly enough when I spent
an annoying several hours earlier this month getting the creation from
7/26/2013 to be installed correctly, one thing I didn't install was the library
behind the tcpdump program.

What did you do to resolve this install of the 'library behind the tcpdump program'?

What is the make output produced when you try to build a network capable simulator (PDP11 or any VAX)?

What command did you enter to attempt this build?

With that installed I thought it would be enough to dynamically enable
networking. It wasn't. The build process constantly insists it is doing so
without networking enabled, and that I need to read the enclosed document
on that method. I did. It told me exactly what to do, then what to do when
running things, and so on.

What is the make output produced when you try to build a network capable simulator (PDP11 or any VAX)?

If you have the proper libpcap development components installed on your Linux environment, then the makefile will automatically build a network capable simulator.   You DO NOT need to specify anything extra to create encourage this.

Numerous folks (myself included) have built network capable simulators on the Raspberry Pi platform.   I don't recall having to hunt down any libpcap stuff for this platform, but I may have.   I did this probably a year ago, so I used the available Raspberry Pi Linux distribution which was available at that time.   I have not tried from scratch recently.

Before I try and ruffle a few feathers on the regular SIMH list I was
wondering if anyone in here has any suggestions.

This would be   a perfect opportunity to create an issue at https://github.com/simh/simh/issues so we can understand what is happening for you and head off the same issue for other folks in the future.

Feel free to answer the above questions when you create that issue....

Thanks.

- Mark