[HECnet] Cisco Catalyst family members

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 01:18:48 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On 7 Aug 2013, at 19:50, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 08/07/2013 07:47 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:

Here's a stretch, a shop in California named WeirdStuff is selling a
Cisco Catalyst 2948G for 35 dollars. Obviously that prices does not
include S&H costs. They go onto discuss what else the thing has, such
as - Layer 3 Switch - 48 Ports 10/100 - 2 GBIC Ports for Gigabit
uplink. I believe that is a good description. But I'm no judge of
prices.

Someone here made the mistake of throwing out a batch of Cisco gear
items and I rescued them before the local vulture union could destroy
them. New I believe they are worth more then some of the cars people
drive here.

One was a Catalyst 2900, and the other was a Catalyst 2960G, (with the
optical delivery items for fiber-optics), and still another was a
2500, (which is a classic amongst that family I believe.), and then a
3600, the other happened to be a 2550 series unit.

How hard is it to identify them and confirm what I rescued?

Quite easy.

2500s are ancient, but still very useful.   2900s, not so much.   3600s still
go for more serious money; if they threw them in the trash, they're idiots.
2550s also fetch some money.

Just check the fans in the 2500s.   Remember how MINE died!

I can help you go through their hardware configurations and such, crack
passwords for access, etc etc when the time comes.

I can too, but I   m not too familiar with Layer 3 switches.   I   d love one to
play with though.

Hello!
Okay Cory how quickly can you get here, and remember to bring
everything you need, and everything you don't.

Seriously though I've seen these items, ah, mentioned on Amazon whilst
searching for items that wear an AUI port, and even an entire rack of
gear was shown.
-----
Now why are the yetis now setting up tents and arranging for catering
services for a long term stay?
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com