[HECnet] Cisco Catalyst family members

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Aug 8 01:00:26 PDT 2013

On 7 Aug 2013, at 19:50, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 08/07/2013 07:47 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
Here's a stretch, a shop in California named WeirdStuff is selling a
Cisco Catalyst 2948G for 35 dollars. Obviously that prices does not
include S&H costs. They go onto discuss what else the thing has, such
as - Layer 3 Switch - 48 Ports 10/100 - 2 GBIC Ports for Gigabit
uplink. I believe that is a good description. But I'm no judge of
prices.

Someone here made the mistake of throwing out a batch of Cisco gear
items and I rescued them before the local vulture union could destroy
them. New I believe they are worth more then some of the cars people
drive here.

One was a Catalyst 2900, and the other was a Catalyst 2960G, (with the
optical delivery items for fiber-optics), and still another was a
2500, (which is a classic amongst that family I believe.), and then a
3600, the other happened to be a 2550 series unit.

How hard is it to identify them and confirm what I rescued?

  Quite easy.

  2500s are ancient, but still very useful.   2900s, not so much.   3600s still go for more serious money; if they threw them in the trash, they're idiots.   2550s also fetch some money.

Just check the fans in the 2500s.   Remember how MINE died!

  I can help you go through their hardware configurations and such, crack passwords for access, etc etc when the time comes.

I can too, but I   m not too familiar with Layer 3 switches.   I   d love one to play with though.