[HECnet] two dumb RSX questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Dec 31 14:07:42 PST 2013

On 12/31/2013 01:03 PM, John Wilson wrote:
When do you say it hangs, do you mean it's looping (executing PDP-11
code -- might be worth seeing what and/or looking at the stack to see
how it got there), or that the bus is hung and the CPU is stuck?

  I didn't investigate to that level.   I just figured I'd fire the
question at the gang here since it'd been so long since I'd messed with RSX.

The hardware is, as far as I can tell, otherwise fine.   I built the
system up from parts a few weeks ago, and have exercised it with RT-11.

The order of dependence on strictly working (and/or accurately emulated)
hardware goes:   RT => RSX => RSTS.   So the fact that something works
with RT proves *nothing*!   (I've learned this the hard way so many times.)

  Indeed...I've been bitten by that a few times as well.   Like this time. ;)

Of course, looked at another way, it's nice of RT to be willing to run
on hardware that's not long for this world...

  True. ;)