[HECnet] two dumb RSX questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Dec 24 11:42:59 PST 2013

On 12/24/2013 07:02 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
BRU64K also rings some bell, so I think I've seem that name as well.

    I booted it.   It seems BRU64K does not support MU: devices.   The
"regular" BRUSYS does.   I don't know what other differences there may be.

Hmm. I'd say that this would more be an issue of age. The TMSCP support
only came in 4.something, if I remember right.

  Ok.   That's certainly possible, and sounds likely...just an older one.

      I wish I still had that tape, but sadly it was lost many years ago.

Distribution tape for 4.1? I thought you had 4.3 anyway, so what would
you use 4.1 for?

    I wouldn't...but it was a pristine, original DEC RSX-11M distribution
tape, and those don't exactly grow on trees.

Oh. Ok.

  There's also a sentimental attachment; it was mine when I was a teen,
given to me with my first PDP-11.

    First question: I'd like to try to get DECnet running on this system,
if possible, to get it on HECnet.   I've never run DECnet under RSX
before.   I could put a DEUNA in the machine, but I am running short of
slots.   I have a DELUA, but I don't recall sysgen asking about DELUAs.
Are they compatible at the driver level?   Meaning, if I re-do my sysgen
to include a DEUNA driver, will that work with a DELUA?

DEUNA and DELUA are the same from a program point of view. They have
different microcode, but that is detected at runtime, and the right
microcode is loaded. The rest work the same. They use the same drivers,
both in DECnet and in plain RSX. (Yes, there is an ethernet driver for
Unibus, that you can use if you have the controller, but do not want
DECnet.)

  Understood; perfect...Thanks!   I know very little about DELUAs.   I
hope to survive netgen and see what I can make work.   Thank you for your
help!