[HECnet] two dumb RSX questions

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Dec 24 04:02:01 PST 2013

On 2013-12-24 05:14, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 12/23/2013 10:46 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
      Ahh, got it.   I have a bru64k.tap file that I think came from the same
place.   If you have a brusys.tap file, would you please send me a copy?
    I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Did you try booting the BRU64K tape? Sounds like that should be a BRUSYS
system as well.

Not sure what the correct name is. I know it by BRUSYS, but there might
be some slight difference between the 11M and M+ standalone BRU, or it
might just be different versions of the same.

BRU64K also rings some bell, so I think I've seem that name as well.

    I booted it.   It seems BRU64K does not support MU: devices.   The
"regular" BRUSYS does.   I don't know what other differences there may be.

Hmm. I'd say that this would more be an issue of age. The TMSCP support only came in 4.something, if I remember right.

      I wish I still had that tape, but sadly it was lost many years ago.

Distribution tape for 4.1? I thought you had 4.3 anyway, so what would
you use 4.1 for?

    I wouldn't...but it was a pristine, original DEC RSX-11M distribution
tape, and those don't exactly grow on trees.

Oh. Ok.

      Thank you Johnny.   I'm sure I will have other questions as I become
reacquainted with RSX.

No problems. Feel free to ask anything.

    Thank you!

    First question: I'd like to try to get DECnet running on this system,
if possible, to get it on HECnet.   I've never run DECnet under RSX
before.   I could put a DEUNA in the machine, but I am running short of
slots.   I have a DELUA, but I don't recall sysgen asking about DELUAs.
Are they compatible at the driver level?   Meaning, if I re-do my sysgen
to include a DEUNA driver, will that work with a DELUA?

DEUNA and DELUA are the same from a program point of view. They have different microcode, but that is detected at runtime, and the right microcode is loaded. The rest work the same. They use the same drivers, both in DECnet and in plain RSX. (Yes, there is an ethernet driver for Unibus, that you can use if you have the controller, but do not want DECnet.)