[HECnet] two dumb RSX questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 23 20:14:49 PST 2013

On 12/23/2013 10:46 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
    Ahh, got it.   I have a bru64k.tap file that I think came from the same
place.   If you have a brusys.tap file, would you please send me a copy?
  I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Did you try booting the BRU64K tape? Sounds like that should be a BRUSYS
system as well.

Not sure what the correct name is. I know it by BRUSYS, but there might
be some slight difference between the 11M and M+ standalone BRU, or it
might just be different versions of the same.

BRU64K also rings some bell, so I think I've seem that name as well.

  I booted it.   It seems BRU64K does not support MU: devices.   The
"regular" BRUSYS does.   I don't know what other differences there may be.

    Ok.   I was mainly concerned about the stuff fitting...I'm assuming
4.2/4.3 are larger than 4.1.   4.1 was the last version I ran.

    I've found the relevant sections of the documentation and am reading
it now.

Excellent.

  Progress!   I've restored the DL installation set under simh, moved the
RL02 disk images over to a (real) VAX, written them to RL02 packs, and
am running a sysgen on a (real) PDP-11/24.   It's midway through the
assembly of the executive.   I took a crappy phone pic:

  http://www.neurotica.com/misc/pdp1124-rsx-sysgen-20131223.jpg

  (yes, that bottom RL02 really is dirty...I'll clean it soon)

    I wish I still had that tape, but sadly it was lost many years ago.

Distribution tape for 4.1? I thought you had 4.3 anyway, so what would
you use 4.1 for?

  I wouldn't...but it was a pristine, original DEC RSX-11M distribution
tape, and those don't exactly grow on trees.

    Thank you Johnny.   I'm sure I will have other questions as I become
reacquainted with RSX.

No problems. Feel free to ask anything.

  Thank you!

  First question: I'd like to try to get DECnet running on this system,
if possible, to get it on HECnet.   I've never run DECnet under RSX
before.   I could put a DEUNA in the machine, but I am running short of
slots.   I have a DELUA, but I don't recall sysgen asking about DELUAs.
Are they compatible at the driver level?   Meaning, if I re-do my sysgen
to include a DEUNA driver, will that work with a DELUA?