[HECnet] NOTES system?

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Mon Feb 25 13:34:30 PST 2013

>Clem Cole wrote:
[Snip]

The problem is as Tom, says the unless you have a DEC keyboard layout, you are mapping something and that tends the be source of much discomfort.
I use the VT100 emulator under Ersatz-11 which provides
support to re-define keys.   In particular, on a PC 104 key
keyboard, the <CTRL> key is in the wrong place and the
<SCROLL> / <NOSCROLL> key does not exist.

The solution was solved by the suggestion that John Wilson
makes for Ersatz-11 to use the <CapsLock> key as the
<LCTRL> key and I added my own definition to the
original <LCTRL> key to become the VT100 equivalent
of the <SCROLL> / <NOSCROLL> key with the
additional functionality that the Ersatz-11 KEYPRESS
sends the <CTRL/S> character and the KEYRELEASE
sends the <CTRL/Q> character.   I found that since the
screen displays so quickly under Ersatz-11 that it was
impossible to react quickly enough to start and stop the
scrolling if the key had to be pressed twice as with the
actual VT100.   So I do not have to hold the key down
permanently to hold the scrolling stopped, when I also
hold the <LSHIFT> key at the same time I am releasing
(KEYRELEASE), the <CTRL/Q> character is not sent.

These two changes managed to map the PC 104 key
keyboard to the VT100 as well as I can expect and I am
more than pleased with the results.

Jerome Fine