[HECnet] Cisco Tunnel Config Tool

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue Feb 26 07:58:36 PST 2013

Ok, one MAJOR rewrite later and this code is a little bit more sane.

One of the best parts is instead of the db returning little blurbs of "this is what changed" it now returns the inserted/updated/deleted rows as JSON that the python script can ingest and make much better decisions with.

I've got some ideas for stuff I want to add now but I'm pretty happy with where it is now.

I'm also open to ideas if you all have any.

My current TODO list is:

Use PySNMP instead of the net-snmp CLI tools:
      Better control over what's going on. Non-responsive routers seriously blow up my snmp script file. Calling an external script is..... ugly and I don't like it.

Add exclusions:
      exclude tunnels, so say from dave to peter's Uppsala location, for example

mesh/hub/spoke:
      The question of "do we do a full mesh or just a few hubs" has been moved in my mind from being a global question to an individual question. You will be able to choose if you want to be mesh connected or hub connected.

GRE/IPsec:
      Dave hasn't responded to that email yet, but if he has in mind what I think he does I'm going to add code that is smart enough to setup an IPsec tunnel between locations if both ends support it and GRE if they don't.

Only update needed:
      This one is WAY low priority but my plan is to make the code smart enough to only update routers that need it. For example: if Cory's IP changes his router config doesn't actually need to change but everyone else's does. If Dave's source interface changes his router config needs to change but no one else's does. This is seriously OCD/pedantic territory, but that's me. :)

-brian