[HECnet] VT100 or VT100 Emulation.

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Mon Feb 25 13:08:35 PST 2013

>Brett Bump wrote:

The only good VT100 emulation is a real VT100.

Or a VT2xx or later from DEC.   Those are really solid implementations, for one thing because there was an incredibly detailed spec spelling out formally what every escape sequence does.

If we are touting our favorite VT100 emulations from the past, my pick is
the Stanford SLAC VLT (Valiant Little Terminal) program for the Amiga.   I
really loved my DEC Terminals, but for those that could not afford a real
Tek terminal, an Amiga running VLT was all the rage.   Too bad someone has
never ported this to a unix system.

This is my first post here, so it is a bit of an experiment.

For those of you who recognize my name, I am a rabid,
RT-11 addict who continues to run RT-11 almost every
day.   I have a real DEC   PDP-11/83 in the basement
with SIX   DEC   VT100 terminals on the desk that runs
a Mapped RT-11 Monitor with Multi-Terminal support.
It rarely gets used these days.

I also run the identical software under both Ersatz-11
and SimH on my PC.   The latest benchmark I ran under
Ersatz-11 suggests a speed of about 150 times a real
DEC PDP-11/93 using the Win32 variant of Ersatz-11
on PC hardware with 16 GB of physical memory and
16 cores running a 64 bit Windows 7.

This is a plug for the VT100 emulation under Ersatz-11
which also supports most of the additional keys found
on the LK201, specifically the SIX edit keys on the LK201
above the ARROW keys.   The top row on a PC 104 key
keyboard does not have sufficient keys to support all of
the Fn keys on the LK201, but most are there.   In fact,
the Single Line Editor (SLX.SYS) on RT-11 actually
supports the LK201 keyboard on the VT220 - although
it does not make use of the SIX edit keys.

I have a question that I have long had difficulty with!!!!!!
When I run SimH on the same hardware, there is no VT100
emulation available, so I stick to a few basic tests.   Is
there a VT100 emulator which is compatible with SimH
that can be used under both Windows XP and Windows 7
that will support at least ONE VT100 terminal?   Better
yet would be Multi-terminal support for many VT100
terminals (while I am asking)?

V2.11-9 used to have about 95% of the support needed
for a VT100 with the <GOLD> key being the missing
aspect.   So it is possible to be integrated into SimH.

Jerome Fine