[HECnet] TCP/IP experts?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Feb 16 17:53:14 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
Well, to be honest Gosling's Emacs is just a rewrite of the TENEX TECO Emacs, which returns us back to RMS again...
(And I was never very fond of Gosmacs with it's Mocklisp. Pretty awful.)
:-)

Yes but a very different code base (and different keyboard bindings).   I remember when he wrote it.   We had rms's emacs on the 10s and 20s.   Gosling lands at CMU as a grad student/research from his Canadian University (IIRC Calgory) and he wants something like for UNIX.    He is a C hacker (not a BLISS hacker like much of CMU at the time) and he writes Gosling EMACS.    It lands at Berkeley and actually replaces vi with many people, including vi's author (joy).

Yes, rms' can claim that he just started with a reimplementation of his work etc...

Steve Zimmerman wrote an emacs in C at MIT at the same time.    But for reasons I never really understood, Steve's version never caught on nor do I understand why rms did not use it.