[HECnet] LQA system ID message

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Feb 15 17:53:41 PST 2013

On 2013-01-24 20:29, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
I was watching the MOP Console system ID messages from DECnet/E on simh, with an emulated LQA.   Noticed something odd: the source address was broadcast.   That's not valid, of course.   The question is why that happened.

The answer is that the emulation uses the address in slot 0 of the address filter as the source address.   The hardware doesn't care what order the addresses go in as far as filtering is concerned; DECnet/E puts broadcast in slot 0 and the physical address in slot 1, followed by any multicast addresses.

Is the SIMH behavior also what a real LQA does?   That would be an interesting DECnet/E bug if so...   Or does a real LQA just use the physical address, as a UNA would?

Hi, Paul. Sorry for not responding sooner. Busy, as usual. However, I did mark this for some later investigation. However, I now realize that it's not trivial for me to test, as it would appear a RSTS/E system would help. :-)
I honestly don't know how a real LQA do. Maybe John Wilson knows more, since he have been digging into these kind of questions way more than most people I know...

Or else if you have some realistic suggestion on how I would test this on my machine, as I do have a 11/93 with a real LQA here (although an LQA plus).