[HECnet] TCP/IP experts?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Feb 16 17:14:30 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:
The GNU project would never borrow userspace code.

Careful here -- a lot of the original Gnu code was borrowed.   Gnu Emacs was a rewrite Goslings (CMU) Emacs.    gdb was based on Mark Linton's pdx/dbx from Berkeley.      The Gnu dialector is based on something I wrote at UCB and that Dan Klein would rewrite (we do get credit).

Simply, there is a bunch of the Gnu original code that has hazy provenance.    Sadly, I have been part of the some the torts associated with some of these.   But no one should try to say they are holier than anyone else.

That said, my experience is that by the 1990s the Gnu project was better about understanding provenance, but in the 1970s and 1980s, they took what ever they could get.

Clem