[HECnet] TCP/IP experts?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Feb 16 17:12:32 PST 2013

On 2013-02-17 02:05, Clem Cole wrote:
BTW: the bits have definitely rotted in my brain here, but I thought the
BBN "portable" stack was targeted to RSX years ago,     I know it ran on
one of the HP systems (do not remember if it was the 3000 or the 1000).

I honestly don't know for sure, but this is the first I've ever heard of that.
Doing a "portable" stack for RSX would probably be very hard, by the way. There are definitely some quirks in RSX to take into consideration making it less easy to do something generic. In addition, unless you want really bad performance, you want to be close to the kernel, which severely restricts your memory size, making anything written in a high level language very hard. Not to mention that there are no "official" support for writing any code that interfaces to the kernel in any high level language. Not that I even could think of what language that portable stack would have been written in. C was not on the table for RSX for a long time. FORTRAN is hardly suitable, and DEC used BLISS internally, but that was not really available to the outside.

    But I really thought one of the targets DARPA had for the stack was
RSX-11.

It would be interesting to find out more.

I do remember VMS was not a target, and thus we wrote the original
implementation at Tektronix in 1979, which we gave to CMU via my
connections and would become the basis for the VMS versions.

Is that the Multinet IP for VMS? Never looked at it, but it's been around for a long time. (And several people here are running it.)

	Johnny

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com