[HECnet] BTW, Peter..

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 12 15:15:32 PST 2013

On 02/12/2013 12:36 AM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
"They're using sophisticated technology to degrade service, which
probably costs them a lot of money. It would be better to see them use
that money to improve service"

So why is anyone (Dave) buying their service?

  I'm buying their service because it's the best service I can get here.   (and it's significantly better than the best I could get in either Florida or DC, at least when I lived there)   And it's cheaper by about 30% than what I had in Florida, though that was not a consideration, as my connectivity is my livelihood.   As a bonus, for that 30% discount, I have more than twice the bandwidth and far, far better reliability. (I was on Sprint business class in Florida)

Eeeek.   Sprint! The horror...

  Yeah, it was pretty bad.   High pricing, no inverse DNS (they said it was "a business decision"...FUCKING SUITS!), not-so-great speed, etc. But there are no alternatives in SW FL.

  Annoyingly enough, if I had been in Sarasota County, I could've gotten FIOS.   I lived in Charlotte County...ON THE VERY STREET that separates the two counties!   If only I could've just run a damn wire across the street.

  I would've considered having it installed at a neighbor's house and doing a point-to-point wireless link, but housing was very sparse in that neighborhood (one of my favorite things about it!) and there was nobody across the street within a reasonable distance.