[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:26:23 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
On 2013-02-11 22:43, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On Feb 11, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Mark Benson wrote:

On 11 Feb 2013, at 21:02, Dave McGuire wrote:

You know DEC, they loved supporting legacy products almost into
oblivion.

Yes, for GOOD products

As much as I'd like to agree, it didn't necessarily work that way round.
It was more a case of 'is someone important still using this? Then we best
not ditch them or it'll look awfully bad... and they'll go and buy an
IBM/DataGeneral/etc.' :)

Not even that.   For example, shortly after the 11/780 was announced, there
was a definite (and, as I recall, explicitly stated) push to drop all PDP-11
support ASAP.

For that matter, when IAS was announced, RSTS customers were told that IAS
was the future and they should move there right away.   Not long after that,
IAS was recognized for the boat anchor it was, and it remained an obscure
niche product.

So DEC definitely had a history of angering customers by attempting to
drop support for products that were very much alive and in some cases
superior to the alleged replacement.

Of course, they sometimes did get it right, as in the example of TRAX...
:-)

Is this the time I should mention the PDP-10? Talk about making customers
angry... :-)

Speaking of IAS, it really looks cool when reading specs, but I've never
touched it, and another aspect of those specs is that it looks like it would
be rather slow...

Never seen TRAX in real life either, btw. What was so good about it?

                                                                  ||   on a psychedelic trip

Hello!
What happened to Mentec and the PDP-11 support after DEC made the
silly decision to spin the division off? And yes you should. The
PDP-10 was an interesting system and one lived for a long time in the
basement of an MIT building during the middle 90s.

I could also say that everything that's going on is Dave's fault, but
that would be too easy. I'm blaming it on Sampsa ignoring the tribble
near him.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com