[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Feb 11 16:18:25 PST 2013

On 2013-02-11 22:38, Mark Benson wrote:

On 11 Feb 2013, at 21:02, Dave McGuire wrote:

You know DEC, they loved supporting legacy products almost into oblivion.

  Yes, for GOOD products

As much as I'd like to agree, it didn't necessarily work that way round. It was more a case of
'is someone important still using this? Then we best not ditch them or it'll look awfully bad...
and they'll go and buy an IBM/DataGeneral/etc.' :)

I'd say it is a bit of both, and the latter sometimes comes as an effect of the former. Heck, I still know lots of places that run PDP-11 in production. Even some places with real hardware, although several are now on emulators.

I mean, when did they stop officially supporting PDP themselves?

  Supporting I don't know, but the last PDP-11 to roll off the assembly
line did so on 9/30/1996. (see "good products" above)

That I won't argue with. That reminds me, I need to get my PDP-11 emulation back up and running.
I'm actually missing using RSX-11 M+ (there's something wrong with me, I swear. It's Johnny's fault! :P ).

I'm totally innocent... :-)
It's just that RSX is so much fun.
(Most of my crashing with the new TCP/IP have so far been on my very experimental JOCKE, so MIM have been spared, even though it is running the new code. Still some bug in there, which cause some timer to trigger when it shouldn't...)

As some people occasionally do ask about my TCP/IP, the answer is that, yes, I do plan to get some beta testers sooner or later. Let me finish the current rewrite, and then I could start talking about possible tries at distributing something.