[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:38:16 PST 2013

On 11 Feb 2013, at 21:02, Dave McGuire wrote:

You know DEC, they loved supporting legacy products almost into oblivion.

Yes, for GOOD products

As much as I'd like to agree, it didn't necessarily work that way round. It was more a case of 'is someone important still using this? Then we best not ditch them or it'll look awfully bad... and they'll go and buy an IBM/DataGeneral/etc.' :)

NT on Alpha was an utter failure by every metric.

But people may still have relied on it on some bastard corner of the world, thus they still supported it. Long after it should have died a fiery death, by all accounts.

I mean, when did they stop officially supporting PDP themselves?

Supporting I don't know, but the last PDP-11 to roll off the assembly
line did so on 9/30/1996. (see "good products" above)

That I won't argue with. That reminds me, I need to get my PDP-11 emulation back up and running. I'm actually missing using RSX-11 M+ (there's something wrong with me, I swear. It's Johnny's fault! :P ).

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo