[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Feb 11 13:23:13 PST 2013

On 11 Feb 2013, at 16:19, "Steve Davidson" <jeep at scshome.net> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 16:11
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

On 02/11/2013 04:07 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:
NT 4.0 and all service packs were supported on Alpha.   NT 5.0 (aka
Windows 2000) beta worked as well until Compaq pulled the plug.

Frightening.

As for
speed...   The Alpha's kicked series ASS running NT.   One of my
Jensen's still runs V4.0 and it cooks right along!

I reloaded several Jensens with Digital UNIX at customer
sites.   They ran rings around their previous NT installs on
the same hardware.   It wasn't 4.0, though; I seem to recall
it was 3.something.

NT 3.x was a whole different beast the NT 4.0.   Video was a big change -
it moved into system space (and so did the early crashes :-)), but
performance improved.   I used to run V3.5 with SQL and it booked!   V4.0
I used for file, print, and email (Exchange).   Often I would run most of
the BackOffice Suite (except the SNA component) and that included SMS
which was a resource hog.   NT 4.0 workstation was quite fast - problem
was that few companies ported their software to the Alpha platform so
over time people had fewer and fewer reasons to use it.

Which version of Exchange?

NT 4.0 Workstation is still fast!   It's much less bloated than modern windows!   I still use it and Office 97.

Even Dave Cutler used the Alpha to do development on until they finally
withdrew support that is

That makes perfect sense.   I am not surprised.

-Steve