[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 11 13:02:07 PST 2013

On 02/11/2013 03:58 PM, Mark Benson wrote:
That's frightening.   They stopped pushing it as a viable platform in
like 1994.   The last place I saw it deployed (not that there were many)
was gone by 1995.

Either way, though, NT on Alpha was very much a "first generation
Alphas" thing, and the ES family is a "last generation Alphas" thing.
I'd be shocked if it even came close to booting on a 21264-class
processor.   ...which means I'm utterly shocked to hear of any DS20
support at all.

Well I learned something today. ;)

You know DEC, they loved supporting legacy products almost into oblivion.

  Yes, for GOOD products...NT on Alpha was an utter failure by every metric.

I mean, when did they stop officially supporting PDP themselves?

  Supporting I don't know, but the last PDP-11 to roll off the assembly
line did so on 9/30/1996. (see "good products" above)