[HECnet] VS4000/90: Up and running!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 8 22:44:34 PST 2013

On 02/08/2013 04:11 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
  I keep reading about people cracking open those chips, and I always
wonder why they bother.   They're neither expensive nor difficult to find
brand-new.   Why would one find it worth the time to spend an afternoon
performing surgery on that chip to replace the battery when you can get
a new one on the way for about eight bucks?

I thought the situation was that NOS chips were available, not new ones?
Honestly, though, I might hack on even a new one: potting a battery with
a limited life span is the dumbest thing since russian roulette with a
pistol.

  I bought *new* ones from Mouser as recently as two years ago.   I've
heard nothing about any of them being discontinued.

  I agree about the limited lifespan design; that part just sucks.