[HECnet] DECnet Phase-III anywhere?

Thu Feb 7 08:53:16 PST 2013

On Feb 7, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Brett Bump wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

I don't have any copies myself, but RSTS V7 or thereabouts would be Phase III.

	paul

There are copies of RSTS 7.0 and 7.2 on the www.rsts.org site, however in
order to run this, I think you need the DecNET Phase III install tapes
(Paul could address this better than myself).   RSTS V8 I think would be a
better choice as I think Phase IV started in V9.

I refreshed my memory from the famous "RSTS 80th birthday" document -- which is part history and part science fiction.   http://elvira.stacken.kth.se/rsts/rsts_80th_birthday.html

RSTS delivered Phase II support in V6C (1978); Phase III in V7.1 (1982); Phase IV in V9.3 I believe (1987).

And yes, DECnet/E was a separate product, so you'd need the install media for that in addition to the base OS.

	paul