[HECnet] Download a PDP-11 w/o Ethernet?

Mon Feb 4 16:44:39 PST 2013

Others already answered the boot ROM part.   As for the protocol, MOP arrived first on DDCMP, and yes, that includes load/dump.   If anything, it's primarily load/dump.   The Sysid stuff is specific to Ethernet.   I think DDCMP MOP also has MOP level loopback, using MOP packets which are different from the 90-00 Ethernet loop protocol.

In DDCMP, MOP is a mode ("maintenance mode") -- same basic frame format but it's a datagram service as opposed to a connection oriented service.           It's all spelled out in the specs ("maintop" which is MOP, and the DDCMP spec).

paul